Sunday, September 24, 2006

Contacting Local Groups



I have been busy contacting more groups this past week or so, and have done five so far - Tranquility Awareness, Surrey Dowsers, Friends in Focus, Dorking Awareness and Heart and Mind. Tranquility Awareness have invited me to their next meeting in October, Surrey Dowsers are fully booked until 2008, Friends in Focus invited me also to their next meeting, Dorking Awareness are keeping me on file for future reference, and Heart and Mind are yet to reply. I will chase them up in the next day or so to make sure they received my Email.

The Friends in Focus meeting was last Thursday, and they seem very promising. It is a friendly group, run by the same lady who used to run Kingston Positive Living. There about 60 people there last week, so they seem to have a good turn out every month. If I do get booked I should get some good sales. I have not heard from my local Waterstones as yet, so will give them another week or so and chase them up. I am still awaiting confirmation from Cygnus Book Club as well, but they did say that this would take a few weeks.

My review was posted on the Internet forum I used to moderate. I was a bit surprised by it, as it seemed more of a criticism than a review. The new moderators Emailed to invite me back on to the site, much to my surprise. I managed to post some comments of my own and start a few more threads, before someone we have not been able to identify posted some less than positive comments on the site that I am now moderator on. I resigned from the review site in protest. It is best not to give this any more energy that I need to, but rather learn from the experience and move on.

This week has been rather quiet on the sales front. I managed to sell one copy at the Journey group on Friday, and one in Church tonight, and I still have those 2 stalls coming up. I must send the balance for the Questing Conference tomorrow, as it is due one month before the conference which is on 27 October. It will soon come round.

Today I Emailed a couple of organisations with a view to reviews - Atlantis Rising magazine, whose name speaks for itself, and a company called IndePublishing. This is run by Jo Anthony, a successful self published author and Manager for Pen Press, one of the largest short print run companies in the UK. She runs a consultancy business for self published authors, helping them with marketing plans, and sells various self published books via her website. I must sit down tomorrow and draft some letters to the local papers throughout the area, letting them know about the Mind, Body and Spirit Festival at our local church, and that I shall be there with some signed copies for sale. I also have some more websites to approach that sell and review self published books.

No comments: