Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Making Contact

It has been another interesting day. I don't normally write this much more than once a week, since there is not really a need for this. This morning though I was invited to a fairtrade coffee (and tea) morning, and met some people who may be very useful indeed in the months to come. The first of these and possibly the most exciting was a freelance photographer who works for the local paper. Quite apart from his usefulness for the newsletter that I shall very shortly be Editor of, he also sounded interested in my book and promised to talk to the staff at the office re contacting me with a view to doing an article. I may even suggest getting people to order copies through the paper, at say a couple of pounds off or something like that, or even get a competiion going where the first one to correctly answer a question wins a free copy and everyone else gets a coupon for money off a copy. It would be be easy enough for me to drive down there once or twice a week and pick up the entries etc, but will as always have to see what they say ... I have already been mentioned in one edition as the soon to be Editor of my own village newsletter ...

The other lady I met was the organiser for the local WI group. Apparently you have to 'audition' to be accepted as one of their speakers, but once you are on the books as it were, receive invites to go and do talks all over the area. There are loads of WI groups all over this part of Surrey, so this could be a good opportunity. We exchanged contact details and she will also be in touch, unless I contact her first ....

The other thing I have just done is to add an events calendar to the events page on my website so that people can click on it and see straightaway what I am doing. I have seen this on a number of other sites and it seems to work well and should be a useful addition. I have also upated the aforementioned events page with PDF's of the psychic fair this weekend and the craft fair at the end of May, as well as jazzing up the existing PDF's on earlier events with some snazzy clip art images. It now looks very good then.

No comments: