Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 By Numbers



Today's edition of The Daily Mail has an article on pages 28 and 29 written by David Thomas entitled 2007 By Numbers which makes interesting and sometimes depressing reading. To start 2008 off on a thought provoking note, I have decided then to write my own version of this, addressing the issues affecting someone such as myself - a writer and part time employee.

Here then is my version of 2007 By Numbers

£1.39 What I earn from each copy of my book bought either online or through a retail store

£2.64 What Gardners books earn from each copy of my book bought from them for sale either online or through a retail store

£6 What the average retail store earns from selling each copy of my book

7.19 The number of books I would have to sell either online or through a retail store in order to cover the cost of sending out a 'free' review copy

£10 The cost including postage to me of sending out a 'free' review copy of my book

14 The number of copies of my book which have been sold within the United States and Canada

32 The total number of 'free' review copies I have sent out

33 percent The number of UK based writers whose earnings fall below the minimum national wage

60 percent The number of UK based writers who have been forced to take a second job to supplement their income

£104 The difference in average weekly earnings between full time male and female employees. No prizes for guessing which of the two sexes earns the least!

£252 The average weekly earnings of a typical UK based full time retail worker

390 The total number of books sold direct by myself, online or ordered from book shops in the UK via Gardners Books

£457 The average weekly wage in the UK

510 The total number of books ordered from my publisher for distribution by Gardners Books

£1615 Total monies received so far from the sale of my book

£1651 The total cost of publishing my book, including the new cover for the updated second edition

£4000 Average annual earnings for UK based writers in 2006

5000 The total number of hardback copies sold of Chantelle Houghton's autobiography

£18,000 Typical entry level salary in publishing for a university graduate

200,000 The total number of hardback copies sold of Katie Price's (aka Jordan's) ghost written novel, Crystal

£4.6 million The advance reported to be paid to Tony Blair for the sale of his memoirs

£4.7 million Royalties reportedly earned by JK Rowling for first day sales of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

Makes you think doesn't it?

No comments: