Thursday, October 11, 2007

A strange letter from an even stranger woman !



I had a rather strange letter waiting for me this evening after I got home from the National Trust. It was obviously from a local lady, since she gives reference at the end of her letter to the village newsletter, of which I am the new editor. She somewhat frustratingly says that I need to do something about the bad quality of the pictures that are printed in the magazine - and then goes on to say that she knows several people in the village who are fed up with the 'grey splodges' that pass for pictures in which they cannot recognise themselves or others. I feel desperately sad for such people who for reasons best known to themselves, feel unable to contact me directly and discuss these things in person. If they would do so they would find that I am actually quite approachable and open to comments and suggestions, providing they are constructive and not made in an underhand and sarcastic manner as this lady has done. She did not even include contact details, so I have no way of getting back to her regarding this. I am at a loss then as to what she expects me to do !

The best part of her letter though is spent rubbishing my book - a book which she presumably won a copy of at the Village Fair, since it is clear from what she says that the issue she recently finished reading was the first edition. I have always maintained that people do not respect or value anything that is free, and in this case it seems that I was right.

She basically though says that my book is a deluded fantasy and I should not make wild claims about it being the answer to life, the universe and everything in between. She obviously did not read the quote from the Buddha on the opening page, which reads:

Do not believe anything
because it is said by an authority
or if it is said to come from angels,
or from gods,
or from an inspired source.

Believe it only if you have
explored it
in your own heart
and mind and body
and found it to be true.

Work out your own path,
through diligence.

Gauatama Buddha

As this is telling people that they need to use discernment and not take my words as fact unless if feels right to them to do so.

I have obviously though struck a chord with this lady, whoever she is, for her to get so upset, as in my experience people only get like this when they are being challenged. I know from my own experiences that I only get upset like this when I know that there is more than a grain of truth in what the person who has pressed my buttons has written and/or said, and I don't wish to admit that my views may have been misguided. People never like to admit this, as it is human nature, but it does not mean that we have to write them rude letters and hide behind anonymity in the process so that we cannot ourselves be challenged. This is the mark of a coward and someone who is not secure in their own beliefs to begin with.

She says that it goes without saying that we should care for one another and that that conclusion comes from common sense and not the phantasmagorical beliefs that I espouse. She then says that the 'cults' and the stuff that I and my 'Icke minded friends' evangelise has seldom if ever been proved right. I don't know where she gets off saying stuff like this, and it becomes clear that even though she may have read my book, she did not understand one word of it! I have great respect for David Icke, as he is so passionate about what he believes and truly walks his talk, but nowhere in my book do I say that I agree with him .... Actually a lot of his beliefs are way too fear based for my liking, even though as I say, I have great admiration for him as a soul and as a human being.

This woman though is just too sarcastic and I fail to see the point in comments such as 'I wish you well and I hope you sell lots of books and crystals and find them a good little earner, after all someone has to pay the rent'. Like I say, no respect for something that is free, and no respect for someone who does not share her views.

Now I have got that off my chest, I will go and burn her letter, it's the best thing for it!

1 comment:

Tracy Saunders. said...

Hi June,
People like this are inevitable no matter what you write, unless it's Mills and Boon..actually even then the Feminists won't be too pleased.
You are writing about something outside of people's indoctrinated thought processes. So am I and I know that there will be people who will criticise me too - after all, not too many people can deal with the idea of "2 Gods".
Nil desperandum ilegitimum carburundum
"Don't let the bastards grind you down"
Hope you weekend is fun