Thursday, September 27, 2007

You don't have to be mad to do this, but it helps !


I am not sure what has been triggering this (apart from the usual shifts in energy of course), but for the past week or so, both Coran and I have been having the most peculiar dreams. The most annoying thing for me is that although they are very vivid, when I do wake up, I have absolutely no recollection of what they were about, other than the fact they were so vivid! Last night though I do happen to remember that I was reading a great big list of Waterstones stores and ringing them up - starting with the Z's rather than the A's. This is perhaps not surprising, since it is, for the past 6 weeks or so, what I have been doing in real life.

I have worked out that I have now telephoned almost 200 of their stores. That really is a huge amount, and no wonder I feel so bogged down and overloaded by it all. I think any sane person would be - but then again, most sane people wouldn't self publish their book anyway ! What on earth then does that's say about me - you don't have to be mad to do this, but it helps !

I have though around 70 more stores to go, including the ones that I have not been able to get through to, or at least have not as yet managed to talk to the Manager. A lot of the time when you ring you are told, 'so and so is a meeting' or 'it's the Manager's day off, can you call tomorrow'. I always find it very annoying when this happens on a Wednesday, since I cannot call on Thursdays, it being my day for volunteering at the National Trust.

I have been working in the shop as a volunteer for almost six months now, and although it is hard work, it is actually great fun as well. I usually work with Peter, a cheerful Cockney who makes a wonderful cup of tea (milk, two sugars - no sugar for me though please) and always lets me eat the bars of chocolate that are just past their sell by date!

Most of the time is spent either cleaning the shop, helping with deliveries or serving customers at the till. It is very different to my last permanent job in a supermarket. After 2 years in that job, it began to feel as if I was the one on the conveyor belt rather than the food. I knew though that I had to leave the day they left me on the checkout calling for help to say that I needed to go to the toilet for over an hour. It gave a whole new meaning to the term p***** off I can tell you!

Today though the sun is shining and the sky is blue, even if there is a chill in the air. Having just passed the autumn equinox, there is definitely a feeling of change in the air. I love this time of year actually, walking in the crisp, clear air, feeling the cold wind on my face and blowing through my hair, watching the leaves blow as they change from green to red and gold, that lovely crunching sound that the make under your feet as you walk. Yes, my first autumn on the hill will be well and truly spectacular.

No comments: